Saturday, September 7, 2013

Week 1 Predictions - Tommy's Picks

Well it looks like it’s that time of year again – time for me to get back on the horse and put my bold predictions on display for all to see. I am looking to bounce back from a somewhat difficult 2012 where I fell ever so short of my counterpart Jay who refuses to let me forget it. But, alas, if Crown and MacMurray can have hope for 2013 then doggonit so can I. This is the one week of non-conference games in the UMAC and teams have taken drastically different approaches to their scheduling. Westminster and Martin Luther have chosen to schedule the two worst teams in all of college football – which, to me, is a no win situation - sort of like playing a girl in basketball. Either you block her shot and everyone scolds you because she is a girl or you let her score and everyone is flabbergasted at how you could possibly let a girl score on you. Scholastica, Greenville, and Northwestern have all taken different approaches and have scheduled what will be probably be their toughest opponents all season – which equates to middle of the pack teams in other conferences. Just another day in the UMAC. Here are my picks:


Maranatha Baptist @ Martin Luther- We were waiting on word from College Gameday to see if Lee Corso and the crew were going to set up shop outside New Ulm for this one but apparently they have decided to go to Ann Arbor instead – typical ESPN. All I can say about this one is that being the lowest ranked team in the lowest level of college football is quite an achievement. It literally means that you are the worst college football team in all of America. I certainly hope Martin Luther can beat the worst college football team in America. I will go out on a limb and say they can. Martin Luther 41 Maranatha 6

Wartburg @ MacMurray- MacMurray has also painted themselves into a no-win situation here but for different reasons than their buddies at Martin Luther. MacMurray literally can’t win this game. Wartburg is sooooo much better than them Wartburg 70 MacMurray 0

Northwestern @ St. Olaf- St. Olaf is a pretty middle of the road MIAC team – which means that they are way better than almost any team in the UMAC. I’d give a team like Scholastica a chance to knock of the Oles, but not Northwestern. Northwestern has lost far too much to beat a team like this on the road – especially in Week 1 of the Jacob Fletcher era. Give me 6 turnovers for the Eagles offense and a game that is not a blowout but not particularly close either.  St. Olaf 28 Northwestern 0

Westminster @ Hendrix- Hendrix has 54 total players on their roster, 44 of whom are true freshmen. This is their first season of football since 1960. And this might be their best shot at winning a game all season. I don’t think Westminster lets it happen, though. If they do… they should have to be like the bottom team in the English Premier League that is demoted to the minor leagues, which I guess would be high school football  in this case. I’m not worried though. Westminster wins easily. Westminster 41 Hendrik 14

Greenville @ Millikin- This is a tough one. Millikin is one of those bottom teams from a really good conference. They blew out Greenville last season 50-17 and played close with some tough opponents like Wheaton and North Central. I had this circled as my upset alert but I just don’t think I can pull the trigger. Millikin is too tough. I predict Greenville plays a lot better to start this season than in past years, but it’s not enough to win on the road. Millikin 35 Greenville 27

Minnesota Morris @ Hamline- Whenever Morris gets a little too big for their britches I like to remind them that they lost to Hamline last year - which is a little pathetic. But fear not Morris fans! Your offensive line has extra motivation this year thanks to UMAC Central.

Apparently, Eric Nelson did not appreciate being referred to as the worst offensive line in the UMAC. Sorry bro, but sometimes the truth hurts. I just wish he hadn’t deleted his FB post so soon - oh well, we still have the evidence to share with the world. This glorified troll predicts that with all this bulletin board material from UMAC Central, Morris cruises to a win over a very bad Hamline squad.  Morris 35 Hamline 7

Knox @ Eureka- Eureka and Knox are both ‘supes pumped’ for this one. In fact, I have a feeling they have actually used those exact words to describe their excitement. Eureka wants to get on ESPN again and Knox has to be embarrassed about what happened last year. What people quickly forget from last year’s game is that Knox almost won that affair. Without Durley this year and with a Knox squad out for revenge, Eureka falls to the Prarie Fire (that’s seriously their name?) What I am most excited for though, is not the game but rather the Civil-War reenactement festivities. Four score and seven years ago... Knox 45 Eureka 35

Simpson @ Iowa Wesleyan- I fear that Iowa Wesleyan has bit off a little more than they can chew with Simpson. As a new DIII program I understand that they probably think they can play with a school like Simpson that is mediocre in the IIAC. But they can’t. Simpson wins this one far too easily. Simpson 42 Iowa Wesleyan 0

Macalester @ Crown- Macalester destroyed Crown last season so I should probably pick them. But I’m feeling a bit risky today. Crown has seniors at QB and RB. Macalester is starting a rookie signal-caller. Crown is at home in the first game at their new stadium. I feel a Storm a brewin’. Crown in a close win in which the students rush the field after the game as if Rudy just made a tackle for Notre Dame.  Crown 28 Macalester 27

Game of the Week



St. Scholastica @ Whitworth- I know last year’s game was a close one and I actually like Scholastica more this year with QB Tyler Harper having a year of experience under his belt. I just can’t pick them to win this one or even play the Pirates particularly close. Whitworth is just too good. They have 18 returning starters from what was an already good team last season and they won’t be taking the Saints lightly. St. Scholastica will have a really cool experience traveling across the country for this one, but will end up with a long flight back home. Whitworth 38 St. Scholastica 10

No comments:

Post a Comment