Friday, October 4, 2013

Week 5 Predictions: Jay's Picks

Jay’s Picks (3 of 5 Week 4, 18 of 25 on the season)
As the season goes on, team’s true colors are starting to come through like the fall colors in the trees. Westminster took a step back last week, Crown did not put up the fight I thought they might. I took a chance last week and got burned by it. I should’ve known better, but hey, how smart would I have looked if it had turned out? I mean Crown was leading for all of 7 minutes… But to our reader who suggested that I was influenced by “partying” in my choice, I want you to know I would never put the integrity of my picks at risk.

Greenville @ Crown- This matchup features the UMAC’s highest scoring offense in Greenville against the UMAC’s lowest scoring offense – Crown. The Storm have scored 14 points exactly every game, whereas Greenville’s QB Brendan Chambers alone averages 2 rushing touchdowns per game. After a rough game last week for Crown, I predict they will have a little more intensity on defense, but offensively they will continue their struggles. Greenville marches into Klein-Bank stadium and takes this one easy. Greenville 49 Crown 14

Northwestern @ Minnesota-Morris- Since 2005, Northwestern has not lost at Morris, and has actually performed better at Morris than they have at home in matchups versus the Cougars. Given that the forecast for this game is rainy and windy with a high of 47, the game will likely favor the team with a better run game. Historically, Northwestern has had a better run game and this season it seems to be getting better each week. Morris has had a good passing game this year under first year starter Caleb McLaren which has opened up some running lanes, but he is been making mistakes possibly due to inexperience as of late. With the weather favoring the Eagles, I predict their history at Morris will continue. Northwestern 33 Morris 17


MacMurray @ St. Scholastica- As much as I don’t think an explanation is needed for my pick for this game, I will write one just for your entertainment. This will be a rough weekend for any MacMurray players, having to endure a 10+ hour bus ride up to Duluth knowing their chances of winning are one out of a million. But no, before you even think it, I’m not “telling you there’s a chance.” The Saints continue their dominant form from last week running the ball when and where they choose. St. Scholastica 38 MacMurray 7


Iowa Wesleyan @ Martin Luther- This week features another “Game of the Weak” as I like to call it. Nobody suggested a better name so I am going to stick with it. Iowa Wesleyan comes off their first win in the UMAC looking to add another. Martin Luther came crawling back from Greenville bruised and defeated after a solid pounding. Martin Luther is typically a tough place to play, but I like the energy and enthusiasm the Tigers have shown this year. Iowa Wesleyan 28 Martin Luther 22

Game of the Week

Westminster @ Eureka- Both teams have been playing surprisingly well this year in the UMAC. Eureka’s defense decided to improve over the offseason while Westminster discovered this thing called a “running game”. RB Ronnie Seals Jr has played exceptionally well and been the most consistent part of Westminster’s offense, even running for 145 yards against St. Scholastica’s defense. My suggestion for the Blue Jays, as odd as this is, would be to keep the ball out of QB Joe Plassmeyer’s hands, where many of their mistakes happened last week, and keep the ball in the arms of Seals Jr. Eureka will be relying on their defense to keep the pressure on the Blue Jays if they hope to win. QB Blake Robles will have to stay alert and be accurate against a Westminster defensive back field that has forced 8 interceptions and has 20+ pass breakups so far this year. I think Westminster had a rough time with the long road trip last weekend and will do better traveling this shorter road trip. If both teams show up to play, this game will be a fun one to watch, provided the forecasted weather does not delay the game. Westminster 35 Eureka 33

No comments:

Post a Comment