Friday, October 12, 2012

Week 6 Predictions - Tommy

Tommy’s Picks (4 of 5 Week 5, 17 of 24 on the Season)

I had a pretty good showing in my predictions last week even picking up a game on Jay. And the one game that I missed on was the Northwestern-Scholastica game and I did say that it would be close and low-scoring so I almost want to give myself a half point on that one. Oh well, I guess if Martin Luther doesn't get moral victories neither do I. On a side not, I thoroughly enjoyed Jay's article this week. His journalism skills just keep getting better. He is truly like a fine wine - gets better with time.

Northwestern @ Crown- For a half a second I thought to myself, "This could potentially be a trip-up game for Northwestern. They are feeling invincible coming off a huge win and Crown always gets amped to play the Eagles. Then I saw this:


(The Crown player's identity has been hidden for the sake of retaining his dignity). I actually started laughing when I came across this brazen tweet. May I remind all Crown faithful followers that you did lose to Westminster by 3 scores - a team that Northwestern beat 49-7. Crown reminds me of a fifteen year-old boy that has just started to hit puberty. Now, all of a sudden he thinks he can take on his Dad. Quickly, Dad throws him in a headlock and puts him back in his place. Metaphorically speaking, Northwestern will put Crown in a headlock this Saturday and show them who their daddy is. Northwestern 38 Crown 13

St. Scholastica @ Westminster-  I do not envy the Blue Jays this week. Their best chance of beating the Saints was if Scholastica annihilated Northwestern and went down to Missouri half asleep. Unfortunately, I do not see that happening after last week. Since all intrigue is now gone, I will spend the rest of this paragraph expressing my disappointment with these teams. First, Westminster's overall effort this year. I expected much more from this team and either their talent has dropped off by 80% or they have completely mailed it in. Please Blue Jays, play with some pride this weekend and make this game close at least. My disappointment also extends to the Saints offense last week. I thought you were the real deal. Apparently, losing Alex Thiry and Keegan O'Neill was a death blow to your aerial attack because your passing game was putrid last week. Please get things together and steamroll the rest of your opponents this year in case Northwestern does drop a game. Scholastica 38 Westminster 7

Greenville @ Martin Luther - I really, really think that Martin Luther might win this weekend. The question is, can I bring myself to actually pick them? I think Greenville 's offense might be stifled if Martin Luther can shut down their running game. Actually, scratch that - Greenville's offense will be stifled if Martin Luther can shut down their running game because they cannot pass. Will that happen though? I say yes. Sort of. Greenville will not be able to have their way on the ground as they have become accustomed. But, they will be able to get in the end zone a few times and that will be enough to win. Martin Luther will put some drives together and will control the clock. But, they are who they are and that is a turnover machine. The Knights make a few big mistakes and the Panthers sneak out with a hard-fought win. Greenville 20 Martin Luther 14

GAME OF THE WEEK

Minnesota Morris @ Eureka – I was already baffled about the aforementioned tweet from a Crown player... then I saw this:
 
 
 
My confusion lies on 2 primary levels: 1) I picked Morris to win last week so I'm not sure why I have to suck it. 2) Do you really want to claim a victory over lowly Westminster as your statement win? Need I remind you that Northwestern made you look like a junior high team and you didn't fare much better against Greenville? And you lost to Hamline! Beating the 7th best team in the UMAC does not entitle you to any bragging rights. Because of my disdain for the delusion of the Cougars I am picking the Red Devils this week. And even if the Cougars do win that will still not impress me. I will allow you to say whatever you want once you finish higher than fourth in the UMAC. Until then, keep your nose to the grindstone and focus on your play. Eureka 35 Morris 24

No comments:

Post a Comment