Wednesday, October 3, 2012

What We Learned in Week 4

Depending on your outlook, the season is half-over or half-remaining. Either way, the conference picture is really starting to shape up and this week gave us some more life lessons.

1. St. Scholastica and Northwestern are the class of the UMAC - After blowing through their first four conference opponents, the Eagles and Saints have set themselves up for a marquee matchup this Saturday in Duluth. I don't know about you, but I am pretty excited for this one. In a conference that does not offer a lot of parity, matchups between two strong, evenly-matched opponents do not come around too often. I thought we would get a good game when Greenville played Scholastica earlier this season, but the Tigers laid an egg. I do not expect the same mistake from the Eagles this weekend. We will get into our picks later this week, but for now I will simply say that I am really looking forward to this one.

2. You should really listen to our predictions - This may sound a little self promoting, and it is. But, let's face it - we are right a lot. Well, Jay has been at least. I will not claim to have been stellar in my predictions. But my point is this: stop sending us ridiculous comments about your teams. It is almost comical the comments we get from players of bottom teams in the conference objecting to our predicting that they will lose to Scholastica or Northwestern. And then big surprise... they lose by 40. We are not biased here. You may think that we prefer St. Scholastica or Northwestern or even Greenville. In reality, those teams are just the best teams in the conference. Anyone who knows anything about football and is honest with themself can see that. So keep believing in your team but stop kidding yourself.

3. Eureka is still in the hunt - With a huge win over Westminster this weekend, the Red Devils proved to everyone that they are still in the mix. Not for the conference title - not unless they win out (unlikely) and Scholastica loses to Northwestern (possible) and someone else (impossible). Still, I am impressed by Eureka. They have ruined my predictions all season, but apparently they play their best when they do not have my Kiss of Death prediction on them. Congrats on the win, and I look forward to seeing what you do the rest of the year.

4. Westminster really is that bad. It was still kind of up in the air as to whether Northwestern's 49-7 win over them proved the Eagles' dominance or the Blue Jays' ineptitude. Turns out, it proves the latter. I don't know what happened to a team that was a strong team last year and on paper should have been a contender this year, but, whatever it was, the Jays are not good. I'm like a parent who found out their son just got an F on their test - Not angry, just disappointed.

5. Crown's white uniforms are the best uniforms in the conference - I don't have any scientific evidence behind this, but it's just my opinion. I like a lot of the uniforms - Greenville's are sweet. A little over the top, but still pretty cool. Eureka's are pretty sharp. I like the color combo. Northwestern's aren't bad. Pretty classic scheme. Morris has some cool ones as well. But, I just love the Crown away unis. The white helmets with the white jerseys and the I dont' know exactly what color pants (ash? gray? pewter?) .... They just look great.

No comments:

Post a Comment